Today we are exploring the Pop Up Panel. Did you know there was such a thing? If you have v4.1.197 or higher of the Silhouette software, then this is available to you.
This is a neat feature that you can take a design and make it pop out of base shape, such as a card.
Let’s take a look at how we can go from this
First, I started with my Page Size set at 5.5″ x 8.5″ for my card base and turned it to a Portrait Orientation.
Next, I drew a 5.25″ x 8.25″ rectangle to fit inside my card base. I used the Scale Tab to get the exact dimensions I wanted for my inner rectangle.
Then, I used the Align Tool to Center the design to my Page.
Then, I pulled down a vertical Guide (blue line) from the top to line it up with the center fold line of my card at 4.25″. Guides are a Designer Edition upgrade feature and you can turn them on and off under the Page Setup Panel – Tab 2.
Now, open the design you want to use for the Pop up card.
We are now ready to take a look at the Pop Up Panel features.
- Convert Selected Shapes to Popup – Select the Design and click this to create your Popup shape on your base. Lines will show up on the design at the top and towards the bottom.The bottom line is the score line for the center of the card. Match the score line up with the Guide created at 4.25″When the design is selected, a directional arrow in the center appears & that can be used to move and adjust the design and pop up features and vary the length of the design to pop out of the base.The farther down you pull the arrow, the more the features adjust. Pull the red dots on either side of the score line out to the edges of the card, so it will score a fold line to the edge of the card.
- Restore Original Shapes – This will restore the shape to the original design. This is great if you decide you don’t like it and want to start fresh.
- Release Popup – This releases the design into individual cut lines, which can be used to further manipulate the design how you like it. Each line will now become it’s own separate piece and can be moved or deleted, as you see fit.
- Base Width – This will adjust the base width of the score line on the bottom edge of your design where it meets the card.Here I increased it to 57% to show you how it looks. Each design will vary in how it looks and the look you want to achieve.
- Min. Strut Width – This adjusts the Popup tabs at the top of the design. As the number increases the number of tabs goes down.I increased the Min. Strut Width to 0.269″ and it changes so there are only 5 tabs at the top of my design.
- Dash Pitch – Dash pitch adjusts the score line width and how far each line will cut before skipping to the next one.
And here is the final view on the Send tab before you go to cut the Popup design.
Send your design to cut and assemble the card.
This PopUp feature is amazing! So many options & so much fun to create with.
What is the best way to learn? Play, play, play!!! Will you make mistakes? YES! Everyone makes mistakes! But you learn as you go!
Now, set aside some time and play, play, play!
This card was created with Happy Face One Design #147176 by Sarah Bailey from the Silhouette Design Store, Close to My Heart cardstock, and Oracal 651 vinyl.
Yes, you read that right. I used Oracal 651 vinyl on a card. This would not work with all cardstock as it will depend on the fibers of the cardstock but a high quality, smooth cardstock you should have no issues using transfer tape to apply your design.
I would love to see what you create – feel free to post on my Facebook group at Silhouette Secrets+ with EllyMae.
THANK YOU for your support! How can you help? Click HERE & buy a coffee. Every little bit helps with the cost of running the site.
Looking for more in-depth, step-by-step classes, check out all of my online Silhouette classes on my Teachable site HERE.
2 thoughts on “Let’s Explore v4 – Pop Up Panel”